Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Still plugging along

Today's goal: pleat the skirt.  I have the partlet done at last.  The scale isn't a match to the portrait but it would have taken twice as long to make the grid squares half as big, and only hardcore folks who know the portrait will know it's off.  Lesson learned: shoulders are multi-curved.  Gold braid is stiff & not curved.  If you want the shoulder to lay truly smooth you have to compensate for the curves and hollows when you plan the grid pattern.  That forces you to really look at the shoulders in the portrait and they seem unrealistically sloped.  I've seen shoulders like that, but only on small frame excessively overweight women.  Certainly not on the waiflike figure that was Eleanora.  We'll see how much I can force the grid to lay flat when it's on and pinned to the corset.  It's already obvious I won't be able to dress myself & get all the pieces to lay right.

I've been studying the portrait, the copy dress that King Studios did, other period paintings, and the fabric to figure out the best way to make the pleats look like I want them to.  I'm ready to start pinning & see where it goes, while contemplating where I'm going to find the jewelery bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment