Thursday, February 7, 2013

Regency Coat Pattern

The fabric is in the dryer & half a Pride & Prejudice later I have the bodice pattern cut.  I'm not sure what the fiber content is now, wet it doesn't smell like any natural fiber, but it has a lovely hand.  There's a little stretch to it so I suspect a good grade of acrylic with a pinch of spandex.  Didn't expect that.  I have to be more diligent about mapping steps, but really I don't think about it.  Mostly I freehand the pattern and tweak the fit on a body.  This time I started from a gauze dress I did for a Regency party some years ago, and a commercial jacket pattern that I know fits. 

Here's the back of the dress.
 
And here's the overlay of the dress pattern on the commercial jacket pattern on painter's paper.
Which turns into the new back pattern

 
Attach the missing top shoulder to the front--see the new paper pattern under the commercial.

 
And fill in the gap under the arm.  I've cut a side seam so I can have a seam for fitting.  On the dress I made it one piece.
I'll drape the sleeve & collar once I have a sewn up body.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment